Search This Blog

Sunday 14 June 2009

SWAZI LAWYER MASEKO IN LEG-IRONS

Thulani Maseko, Swaziland’s prominent human rights lawyer, was taken into court in leg-irons to hear his bail application.


Maseko, who has been in jail on remand on a sedition charge, had previously refused bail because he wanted to force the Swazi state to give him a speedy trial date. He changed his mind after taking advice from the progressive community in Swaziland.


When he appeared in the Swazi High Court on Friday (12 June 2009) he was granted bail of E15,000 cash (about 1,500 US dollars). He must also report to police once a week.


Maseko told the court he had no intention of absconding while on bail.


‘The gravity of the charges levelled against me do not induce any sense of shock on me as I strongly believe in my innocence. The charges, therefore, do not constitute an inducement on my part to abscond trial, as I view the charges as having been preferred to intimidate and silence me for advocating and promoting basic and fundamental human rights for citizens of Swaziland.’

No comments: