Search This Blog

Sunday 14 September 2008

SWAZI OLD FOLK NEGLECTED

Now that the dust is beginning to settle on last weekend’s 40/40 celebrations in Swaziland, we can reflect a little on what the party to mark King Mswati III’s 40th birthday and also the 40th anniversary of the kingdom’s independence from Britain means to ordinary Swazis.


It is thought that the party may have cost as much as 10 million US dollars (E70 million).


Here’s a reader’s letter to the editor published in today’s Times Sunday, (14 September 2008) that gives one ‘old person’s’ slant on what happens next.


After the 40/40 party, I’m now ready to die


Sir,



My name is Elinah Mkhonta. I was born around 1930. I live Nkwalini, Mbabane. My husband, who used to work at Bulembu Mine, died 28 years ago. I used to have two sons. The first born was a teacher. He died in 2002 of an unknown disease.


As he was married all the money government paid was taken by his wife. The younger one who was studying to be a nurse died before he graduated. I am a widow and am suffering. I have no one to look after me because I am old now.


My house is falling apart, even the two rooms I am letting out are falling apart because I have no one to help rebuild them and as a result no tenants are willing to stay in them.

I heard that there would be a big party for 40/40 and the king had invited his people to come, to the stadium.


I was willing to come but because I did not have the E4 to board a kombi to town and the money to go Lobamba, I did not attend.


At least I would have eaten before I died of hunger because I heard that there would be a lot of food there.


Now I am sitting here ngigolela timphungane emlonyeni (eating flies) and waiting to die of hunger.


But it’s a pity that my husband and my son all worked for this country, but as the wife and mother am now dying of hunger in my country of birth.


In the Bible Jehova (God) says remember the poor and the widow. MaSwati angibalisi (I am not complaining) but I do not think that this is the way we the older people should be treated in this country.


It now seems that being old is a curse. Nonetheless I say halala Swaziland. I am now ready for the grave.


Elinah Mkhonta


See also

40/40 CELEBRATION


No comments: