Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 June 2008

DEREK VAN DAM REPLIES

Derek Van Dam, the man formerly sent by God to Swaziland, who is now reading the weather on eNews TV, has responded to my blogpost about him posted on Monday (23 June 2008). I reproduce his email below.

I have also had an email from a pal of Derek’s from college days who recounts stories about Derek’s behaviour that run contrary to his present image as a man sent by God. They are a bit too personal to reproduce here (sorry).


‘You know, you sure have quite a bit to say for an angry old man.

‘If you want a reality check, why don't you care to ask some of my co-workers the countless hours/days/weeks/months this has taken us to create.

‘I strive every day to make a quality weather presentation that is easily understood by our viewers.

‘If I mis-pronounce a city (that most South African's have difficulty with themselves anyway), I work twice as hard to make it better the next day. What do you have against me? Have I offended you?

‘Just so you know, because last time I checked you weren't at the interview with The Times...my words happened to be mis-construed a bit. In fact, on the audio recording, you can clearly hear the edits.

‘You be the judge for yourself. But in the meantime, leave the harsh comments out of your blog. You really aren't making any progress.

‘Derek Van Dam’

See also
GEORGEOUS DEREK STILL IN AFRICA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you have so much beef with Derek? He is sharing his quality education and knowledge with us South Africans. He is working hard to train up local people. He has openly admitted he he does not know everything, but how can he be expected to anyway? How unrealistic can you get?

Also why do you feel it necessary to bring up his past. Everyone has a past! In my opinion people who change and grow are admirable. I worry about people who feel the need to bear a grudge and dredge up a persons past.
Is it perhaps your own insecurity that leads you to feel the need to belittle a man who is trying to make a difference in this world? He isn't perfect but I am sure he is doing his best. From what I have read and heard about him he has an honest and true heart.

I hope you will examine your own heart and the reasons you feel the need to knock him, or in fact any other human being trying to make a positive difference.

Enough with these malicious words please!

Michelle, South Africa

Africannabis said...

Good God;

I haven't heard anyone from e-weather mention any weather in Swaziland... or Lesotho,

iT Puzzels me that e-weather will tell us about the weather in Alice Springs but not those two black holes in South Africa.

I wouldn't care about the pronunciation if only it would be mentioned - it defies all logic that weather skips geographic regions within our coastline but will report on weather in Alice Springs!!!!

Lisa Satayut said...

I am writing this from Mt. Pleasant Michigan, USA. I knew Derek for a short time before he left for South Africa. During that time I quickly realized that he is one of the most caring, honest, hardworking,unselfish, giving, genuine and thoughtful people I have ever met. I am saddened to hear the way he is being treated by some. Open your hearts and minds...give him a chance.
Lisa